The Community Rural Tourism Program is an effort founded within San Luis to organize local businesses focused on creating products unique to this area. The goal is to offer visitors from abroad or even within Costa Rica an alternative tourist experience centered around rural tourism where the objective is sustainable development with respect to the community as well as the environment.
The program creates activities that offer the community a way to better use local resources, utilizing services in a more equitable way. One of the benefits is that there is no local competition between businesses. Each participates in a significant and unique way in conjunction with each other.
The community offers a series of activities and products that include:
- Recreational and educational walks at farms and through protected ecological zones
- Spaces to host talks, informational meetings, academic activities and community recreation
- Transportation services provided by members of the San Luis community
- Tourist guides with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge about the ecology of San Luis
- Lodging for guests and tourists, volunteers and students
- Restaurants, pizzerias, and cafes featuring the local cuisine
- Local art and artisanal crafts
- Coffee produced and processed from bean to cup in the community of San Luis
The Community Rural Tourism Program allows businesses to complement their income by offering services and products to tourists of this area.
The hope is that through this program, the community of San Luis can become a central location for rural tourism within the Monteverde area.
Additionally, by creating guidelines for rural tourism, the program can encourage community and business development through the use of sustainable practices that will in turn greatly benefit the people and environment of San Luis.